The Town of Neversink came into formal existence by an act of the Ulster County Legislature dated March 16, 1798. It’s first supervisor, Henry Reynolds, was appointed by that same legislature. Prior to that time, early Neversink or “Neversink Country” as it was sometimes known was part of the Town of Rochester, Ulster County. It was 1809 when Neversink became part of the newly created Sullivan County. In 1809 Neversink included parts of Denning, Fremont, Callicoon, Liberty, Fallsburg and all of Rockland townships. In a short period of time, other legislative acts changed property lines and the present boundaries of the Town of Neversink were established. Historical research is often made difficult because the Town of Neversink moved from one county to another and the boundaries kept changing. Official records may be found in Ulster County until 1814. Only then do records show up in Sullivan County.
The derivation of the word Neversink remains uncertain. Present research says the word Neversink came from the Indian name Mahackamack. Earlier historians failed to agree on this and many other possibilities exist.
Historical research is also complicated by the taking of the land by eminent domain for two New York City reservoirs. The Neversink Reservoir is totally in the Town of Neversink. The two communities of Neversink and Bittersweet were lost at that time. The village of Neversink relocated to it’s present site along Route 55. The Rondout Reservoir waters covers three lost communities. Town of Neversink lost Eureka and part of Montela. The other section of Montela and the community of Lackawack were located in the Town of Wawarsing, Ulster County.
EARLY COMMUNITIES OF THE AREA
Bittersweet – Post office established 12/24/1915 – Discontinued 7/23/1920 – First postmaster Henry J. Sackett. There was a one-room school there. Presumed that name came because of an abundance of the climbing plant by the name of Bittersweet. Residents relocated and the waters of the Neversink Reservoir cover the original site. Claryville – Post office established 4/26/1850 – still in operation. First postmaster John Reynolds. One-room school. Two churches were built – one Methodist, one Dutch Reformed. Cemetery and Reformed Church are still in use.
Curry – Post office established 5/18/1894 – discontinued 7/19/1963. First postmaster Daniel P. Wright. Prior to that on 5/21/1890 a post office was established called Curry’s with Higby M. Curry as postmaster. Curry’s was discontinued 5/18/1894.
Eureka – Post office established 4/24/1869. Discontinued 10/31/1942. First postmaster was Joseph C. Porter. There was a one-room school there. Residents relocated and the waters of the Rondout Reservoir cover the original site.
Grahamsville – Post office established 8/22/1828. Samuel Burton was the first postmaster. Recent research reports that Samuel Burton was the first owner of record of the house shown on the 1875 map as belonging to LaMoree. Is it possible that the first post office was located in that house? Two-room school at Grahamsville.
Unionville – No post office. Quaker Meeting House built in 1838 was located in Unionville. Unionville was also the site of a church called the “tabernacle”. Little is known of this church.
Neversink – Post office established 4/25/1828. Richard D. Childs first postmaster. Community of Neversink was relocated to it’s present site along Route 55. The waters of the Neversink Reservoir cover the original location. Neversink was also known on some maps and referred to as Neversink Flats. There was a two-room school.
Willowemoc – Post office established 1/06/1871. Matthew Decker was first postmaster. Post office discontinued 6/30/1945.
Hall’s Mills – Post office established 10/09/1877 with James Decker as first postmaster. Name changed to Hall Mills in 7/27/1893 with George R. Teller as postmaster. Post office discontinued in 12/31/1894. Historic covered bridge located there.
Low’s Corner – Post office established 5/4/1850 with Abraham B. Low as first postmaster. Post office discontinued 7/8/1856.
Montela – Post office established 1886. Located in Frank Dixon’s Store. Presume he was first postmaster. Post office discontinued 1946. Waters of the Rondout Reservoir cover the original site. Montela located part in Town of Neversink, Sullivan County and part in Town of Wawarsing, Ulster County.